Thursday 2 June 2016

Will Matt be King of the Peaks?

Later this month, Matt King from Essex will be taking on the Three Peaks Challenge. It’s a race against the clock to climb Ben Nevis in Scotland, Helvellyn in England and Snowden in Wales all in 24 hours. I found out more about Matt's motivation for such a big challenge and how he's been preparing.

Why are you doing the Three Peaks Challenge?
Giving to charity is a big deal. I don't think enough of us realise how good we've got I, so I’m climbing the Three Peaks to support The Sailors' Society. It’s going to be a life changing challenge. I wanted to push myself to change my lifestyle and some bad habits I have.



Who are you climbing the peaks with?
My colleagues Ellis and Lauren are also taking part and will be key to me actually making it through the day. We'll probably want to throw each other off of the mountains at some point, but their support is going to be essential. Right now, the encouragement and generousity of my friends and family is also the only thing keeping me sane.

Have you been preparing for the hike?
Yes, but probably not as much as I should have been! We’ve stepped up training over the last few weeks, walking up and down the famous Leigh cliff steps during our lunch break and going on longer walks. I've also cut down my smoking which has been tough for me. My goal is to quit before the climb.

What will be the highs and lows of the day?
The muscle pain and fatigue is going to be the worst thing. Three mountains in 24 hours is a stretch for a hiker, let alone me who’s never hiked a mole hill. But I can't wait to get to the top of each mountain and feel an inevitable sense of achievement. Descending Helvellyn as the sun rises will be a moment I'll never to forget.

Which peak will be your favourite to climb?
Ben Nevis will the most fun, because it’s the first and we've got a strategy in place to give ourselves a strong start. It's a race at the end of the day! Helvellyn will be amazing because we're doing it in the dark and Snowdon to finish will probably be the hardest, but most rewarding. Each have their pros and cons.


Lauren, Matt and Ellis

Why are you supporting The Sailors' Society?
The Sailor's Society help seafarers across the globe, by providing financial, spiritual or physical aid. The money we raise will help communities in the Philippines who are still recovering from Typhoon Haiyan that hit the islands in 2013. They're building homes, fishing boats and medical so the islands are better prepared for any future disasters.

Spinnaker Global where I work is a recruitment for firm for the seafaring industry and it’s great to support a cause so close to our work. We’ve had small fundraisers like bake sales and Woolley Hat Day in the office, to bigger events like abseiling down the Broadgate Tower last year. But the Three Peaks is definitely our biggest challenge so far!
  
It’s definitely a very physical challenge. Have you always been an active person?
Yes, but what I do has changed over time. In primary school I was playing football and horse riding, then I was sprinting and long jumping at secondary school. I kind of lost playing sport when I was at uni in Brighton but was still walking everywhere. Now I’m living back in Essex and go to the gym, doing plyometrictraining, spin classes and swimming. It just makes me feel better about myself, physically and mentally.



What challenge might you do next?
I'd like to do a marathon, but I hate jogging so that might not be for me! If I enjoy the Three Peaks, another hike outside of the UK could be really interesting.

What's your top tip for a gym novice?
Just know that everyone else is there for the same reason you are. Everyone is looking to improve an aspect of themselves, whether it’s cardiovascular fitness or losing weight. I still have to tell myself that people aren't watching me work out and judging me for not being able to lift as much or run as long as them. The initial fear of judgement worries people, but everyone is there to improve.

Matt, Ellis and Lauren will be taking on the Three Peaks on Friday 17th June. You can sponsor them as they raise £5500 for The Sailors’ Society on their JustGiving page.

No comments:

Post a Comment